18 June 2013

Three Haiku, written April 29, 2013

ONE

Bombs bursting in air
Four Eighteen, mocking Revere
Logan’s Run Monday

Note:  I wrote this just after the Boston Marathon bombings, which happened to be on the same date Paul Revere issued his famous warning.  The opening echoes the National Anthem and the closing, a film about life ending too soon.*

TWO

A sailor’s delight
Marching in like a lion
Aunt May deflowered

Note:  I combined three unrelated adages, from folklore.

THREE



Cloudy wet mirrors
Swallow things without question
Reflect truthiness

Note:  This last was inspired by a walk in Atlanta’s Piedmont Park, where I noticed city buildings reflected in the moving waters of Lake Clara Meer.  The lake swallows everything in its path, and then spits it back as altered reflection - as true, but not.  That struck me as a great metaphor for addiction.

-------------
*Some say that poetry should need no explanation, but that seems like an unnecessarily pretentious reason to keep my mouth shut, so I didn’t.