03 December 2014

Words for the Dark, November 28, 2014

In a black and white movie, what looked like a shamrock to me
Was a club to the person holding all the cards

Our house was old from the start
Patching and painting and tearing down and adding on
Telling ourselves the foundation was good though we never looked
Nothing but dirt, with poor drainage
Crumbling in a conflict between … god, who really gives a damn anymore?
All this while I obediently awaited his answers to my life

But in this dream
I looked him straight in the eye
After surveying that big house of cards that looked so damned good
From the outside
And said we can’t keep doing this
We must end this joint tenancy and go
Our separate ways
Because I deserve to live the life I’m still living
The whole of it not your half

He resisted and kept fighting
Waiting for the next time to show the hand
This ghost had dealt from a deck I didn’t know was stacked
In a game I’d never played
Making others believe, when I wasn’t present
That it was all me
Who kept him here and not his fear of leaving having just learned more about love

Because we were the teacher and the student
A duet of audience and solo performer
I understood his fear
He knew no better than I how or why we still shared these lessons much less this space
So he fought to be him and I fought to be me
In a friendlier game, no more high stakes poker until that day when

I told him that he was no longer welcome
I told him I’d be sad, lying without regret - well, some - because
I needed to meet him where he was and use language he understood and this language
One learned from him
Now designed to save my own skin
Made him feel like he could leave a winner
The final hand played
And just like that, he vanished
Exactly like he had all those years ago

I looked down and saw in my hand a royal flush, all hearts
I’d won back my home
Alone in the beautiful company of me

After all, when has being right ever helped a relationship?