16 May 2015

Verses Standing Alone, May 12, 2015

Since childhood, he dreamed of being a hero
Modeling for adults the art of how to play:
Prey conquers predator, beauty marries beast,
Humility deflates ego, creativity replaces war, imagination erases dogma.
Games about mind over matter,
Love always defeating fear.
A warrior against all villains, his dream hero became real.

I often read poems
Meant for others
Because they are the words I need
Whispered to my heart.

What would be left to think about
Should my present thinking be
Put off til later?

O poet! You say confess feelings now, else
forfeit, no more second chances
I say come down from the cloud,
Believe in what you write,
Share feelings, after words
Love not in silence.

Because men do all the work and
God gets all the credit,
Let's call the one who accepts the credit
But is said to do no work, a wise guy.

Why get to the edge
But not look over?
I would then just stand, closeted,
Wishing you would move,
But you didn't, you didn't see at all.

How did you become confident?
By telling myself, "I am confident."
When did you become confident?
That very minute, by uttering the words.

"You had to spend some time there."
That generous split-second adlib
Immediately buried two years in a ditch,
By doing the next right thing
  
"You had to spend some time there."
That generous split-second adlib
Yanked me whole from the cunning mud
That had failed to suffocate.

"You had to spend some time there."
That generous split-second adlib
Asserted itself as truth
Born of confidence

I stare at the whitelight screen
Like a trained dog, who would never do the same.
My bloodshot eyes make the room look Jesus red -
or was it blue and green? -
The TV light is just there to fuck with me.

*(Two days later, I decide to make it one day to the Hunky Jesus contest in Delores Park, SF.)

Pretending to be employed
By Imaginary Company, Inc.
Reminds me of the need to cultivate forgiveness
For my pretend life.
Don't you have one too?

We do not throw anyone under the bus. Ever.
Yes, I'm from Vast Enterprises, Inc., South Campus.